14 May 2007

On A Leaf

Some many years back during my younger years, I never steered my life's course. I simply let the winds of change and tides of influence determine my path and I was content to stand wherever I wound up, like a falling leaf. This went on for such a long period that I soon found myself lost in the labyrinth of life.

When I was about 19 years of age, some 5 to 6 years back, I set out on a personal campaign to find myself. I initiated little quests to figure out the kind of person I had been, and still was. After much pondering and deep thought, I came to the conclusion that I was still lost in the life's amazingly vast maze.

I grew tired and gave the campaign a rest. I went back to being a leaf whose destiny would be determined by the winds, content with whatever the outcome.
Now, years later, I reminisce on these moments where I went looking for myself but found nothing so much as a map or a guide. I believe that I've finally figured it out without even realizing it.

The things I have done in the past one year have really defined me. Instead of looking for myself, I should have created myself. Instead of aiming to be content, I should have aimed to be happy and proud of where I would end up standing.

The lesson was learnt a little late, but better late than never. Now I know.

Are you a leaf? Or are you the captain steering your ship across the seas of life, charting your course and choosing your destination?

If you are the the captain, remember to modify your ship with the improvements and enhancements necessary to face the different sea conditions you'll come to face on the way to your destination.

7 comments:

KopiSoh said...

I think my ship is sinking but since it has too many holes I find it difficult to decide which holes I should patch up first. Along the way I have also lost some of my navigational instructions, now I am floating in the sea of uncertainty :o(

Yours truly,
Poor Captain

Hengster said...

Everybody is a leaf no matter how hard we tried to be captain. The key word is, we must at least try to be a captain of our own life...at least 20% of the time we achieve what we plan. The rest of the 80% will be kept as life surprises...good or bad.
:D

UnkaLeong said...

One of my favourite Quotes :

"A Pessimist says there is no wind, an Optimist hopes for the wind to come...Me? I'm a realist, i adjust my sails"

Mervyn said...

Poor Captain - one hole at a time. Keep an open eye and an open mind for opportunities and ideas which may help close multiple holes at a go. Most important is our attitude and our desire to improve. With lots of drive, you'll get to wherever you wanna go.

hengster - agreed... even salmon swim hundreds of KM UPSTREAM to reach their breeding grounds. Some make it, some don't.

At least we try to set sail in the direction we desire. If the winds/currents are against us, we just have to adjust our sails accordingly, as unkaleong quoted so appropriately.

catsndogs said...

" If it's to be , It's up to me "...

Anonymous said...

I like this phrase especially
-quote-Instead of looking for myself, I should have created myself. Instead of aiming to be content, I should have aimed to be happy and proud of where I would end up standing. -unquote-

Being someone who never thought of looking myself because I believe the more we look for ourselves the more we'll be stuck there and not moving forward.

I shall start creating myself eh? or more like, enhance myself..

you caught me there, Merv. For a moment, it kind of solved the "things" I'm going through now. haha.

:)

Mervyn said...

Lucy - glad my blog's presence is doing some good, instead of just existing.

We should meet up some time. Would love to catch up. Til then... take care!