11 May 2007

books@me Achieves 10,000 Hits

books@me is a blog by UnkaLeong to keep his friends and family updated on his life while he’s away living and working in Thailand. His updates are like entries of a personal journal with his views and opinions on anything which catches his attention. I generally enjoy his point of view. Makes for an interesting read when I have nothing to do in the office.

UnkaLeong’s blog got hit for the ten thousandth time yesterday afternoon at 2.30pm. When I realized his blog’s counter was showing “10,000” while I was reading, I decided to send him a screenshot as a souvenir.He rewarded me in return by posting a shout out to beingmervs@blogspot. Thanks bro!

He also touched a bit on my goal to gain some weight this year so I feel obliged to give an update just in case you guys are curious.

When I first started at the gym, I started each workout with a 2km jog for warm up. I couldn’t jog faster than 7.5kmph if I wanted to keep a constant speed for the whole 2km. That’s actually the embarrassing transition range between a fast walk and a slow jog. Four months later, my threadmill session comprises of the following:-
First 100m – 5kmph
Next 900m, up to 1km mark – 10.0kmph
Next 750m, up to 1.75km mark – 11.0kmph
Final 250m, 12.0kmph
Cool down phase – 6.0kmph

I’ve come a long way since I first started. I’m happy.

I also improved my diet by watching my food intake and getting on a nutrition shake (with lots of protein) program. Effectively I’m taking 5 meals a day on average, not including snacks & the occasional supper.

The results:-
When I first started: 54.5kgs, waist size 24 inches (yea, embarrassing for a 1.75m tall guy)
Today, 4 months later: 60kgs ± 1kg; waist size 29 inches (think I grew a belly because not enough emphasis on abs at the gym)

Six kilos + five inches, I’m proud. Most people don't see any obvious change. Only Robert has mentioned noticing a difference so far. I know my wetsuit is getting overly tight and I'm starting to suffocate in it.

Going to stretch my target and get to a range of 63kgs - 65kgs; waist size about 31 or 32 inches. Hopefully my results will be more obvious by then. Maybe I’ll even find my 6-pack again soon. Once I get there, I'll reward myself by buying a new wetsuit to fit the my new size.

Anyway, once again a big congrats to UnkaLeong for reaching the 10,000-hit milestone. I’m a long way away but I’m sure it’ll happen too. Hopefully I’ll get a screenshot when the time comes.

2 comments:

UnkaLeong said...

Thanks again! Really made my day :) If you see my sample workout routine, I break-up the weight with work-outs that hit the abs. I find that very effective!

Mervyn said...

A demonstration would be nice. Maybe you could show me sometime. :)