19 April 2007

F1 Grand Prix 2007: Qualifying

Formula One Grand Prix– probably Malaysia’s biggest single annual event, took place at our very own Sepang International Circuit 2 weekends ago. I’ve never been able to relate very much to F1, except for the F1 on my keyboard whenever I need help with Microsoft Office.

My cousin Patrick called me up one fine day offering me a pair of tickets to this year’s F1 at Sepang. Someone gave it to him but he already had his own grandstand tickets. This Singaporean is such a fan that he’s been for every Sepang circuit F1 since 1999. I presume that’s when it started here in Malaysia but I may be wrong.
I’m the kind of guy who’s game to try everything at least once if the opportunity comes my way. And since this one fell right into my lap, I decided it was too good to pass up so I dropped everything I had planned for the weekend.

My tickets were valued at RM50 each for open air hill stand (K2), applicable for all 3 days. The parking pass which my cousin supplied at a price of RM50 was at PA2, also for all 3 days. Unfortunately I had to work on Friday so we missed the trial runs.

Saturday’s qualifying round I couldn’t miss. We left PJ at about 12.30pm and it took just under an hour to reach the place. The car park was quite a long distance away from the entrance, 1km approximately. We walked around the “mall” area a bit just to take a look. It was pretty crowded with fans all dressed up in their favorite team uniforms and color themes. There were also many stalls selling official F1 Team Merchandise.
Didn’t feel like spending too much time there because it was hot & crowded. Besides, I was lugging around a gym bag which had clothes + lots of drinks & snacks.

The K2 entrance to the hill stand was another 700 meters away at least. At the entrance where they check your tickets, they also check your bags for food and drinks. STRICTLY NO OUTSIDE FOOD AND DRINKS PERMITTED. I had to unload my bag of its food and drinks contents and leave ‘em at the designated table outside the entrance.

As we hiked up the staircase to the top of the hill, the weather changed a little as gloomy clouds began to shadow us, much to our relief. Unfortunately, temperatures remained pretty much the same – HOT!
There were many people already sitting comfortably on the grass or on straw mats by the time we got there – easily 1,000+ people at the top of that hill stand alone. Yet the place seemed empty. There was still so much grass area to cover. My best estimate – 6 soccer fields side by side.
The qualifying sessions soon started.
Unfortunately I couldn't really tell what was going on. The live commentary was fed over the PA system, but of course with the engines howling as loud as they were, it was impossible to know what was being broadcasted.

Good thing the organizers also broadcast the same commentary via radio - 90.0fm.
And they were selling supersized radio headphone at a whopping RM150 for those who wanted to catch the commentary. Good thing Patrick suggested to me to bring a long my MP3 player. It wasn't the best tool, but it served its purpose.

The qualifying rounds gave me an insight on what to expect during race day. Glad I went for it.

1 comment:

deusvenia said...

heys..that pics looks familiar..love the one with snoopy and the wall's cow...so cute..like they went along to the grand prix..
was surely good experience..thanks fer bringin me :P