04 April 2007

Analyzing Speech

More observation on human behavior – let’s talk about speech. Are you aware that we use a lot of unnecessary terms & phrases in our speech? Apart from the "la's" and "ma's", etc.

Here’s a random made-up story any random joe would be randomly telling a random friend…
“I went up to the gal and said ‘Hi’. And then she was like ‘who are you?’ It’s like I guess that’s because we’ve never met. I mean like it’s not like I had the guts to go up and speak to her before. You get what I mean? Actually it doesn’t bother me that much”

The following bits & pieces could have been omitted without changing the story one bit…
“I went up to the gal and said ‘Hi’. And then she was like totally blur. It’s like I guess that’s because we’ve never met. I mean like it’s not like I had the guts to go up and speak to her before. You get what I mean? Actually it doesn’t bother me that much.”

We Malaysians for some reason or other just like to go – “and then ar…” or “and then… and then… and then…”

And it’s like some of us have like this tendency to overuse the word “like”? Like I’m doing now. Hahaha.

And then arrhh… there’s also this strange habit of going “I guess…” even when we’re making a very factual statement and not really just ‘guessing’. I guess we just don’t want to come off too strong with our comments & ideas.

We also have this constant need to rephrase or elaborate on whatever we just said. I mean sometimes people might just misunderstand if we don’t put that extra effort in to rephrase or elaborate by using "I mean".

Oh, let’s not forget how some people overuse “frankly”, “actually”, “really”, “basically”... for whatever reason. I’m sure you’ve noticed.

Frankly/Basically/Actually/Really, these little traits in our speech make us unique.

Disclaimer: This post isn't to poke fun at anyone so please don't terasa. I'm quite the same!

6 comments:

deusvenia said...

hmmph..so the post is finally written..

so true despite not realizin it.things that you do sub-cautiously.

thats make me one of them.."yea..is like that, you know is like.. "

Hengster said...

"cheong Hei!" nuff said. I am one of them!
:)

catsndogs said...

kaninia...
wat la... i mean, is malayisan mah , i like that one maa...
but i try to change laa...

soonyean said...

what happen to those words we put in front and back of each sentence like KNN, CCB, Puki Tiang, fu-yooohh, mahem, mafoolats, niaseng x 5, AP kia, and then? x 5, what chat?

tatoeba:
sohai no.1: KNNCCB, damn chat jam coming to your house, you damn chat AP kia la, stay in this kinda place, mahem ah.

sohai no.2: *iritated* niaseeeennngggg ...... niaaaseeennnggg ...... nobody ask you come la, mafoolats

sohai no.1: fu-yooohhhh, and then and then? and then? and then? Puki tiang you somemore got what chat to say?

sohai no.2: fu-yooohhhh, KNN

sohai no.1: fu-yooohhh

continues with fu-yoohhh infinitely

Mervyn said...

so much for keeping this blog proper and under the "Umum" rating. Damnit!

Anonymous said...

now that you mention it, i kinda use lotsa unnecessary words too. i guess most of us are guilty of it.

oh oh OH and and AND,
i always say "oh oh OH" and "and and AND" as though the person talking to me is going to fly out of my sight anytime -.-