23 February 2007

CNY & Boredom

Did you realize that CNY isn’t quite what it used to be anymore? The 15-day festive celebration has evolved into a “1-2 days of festive celebration" + "13-14 days of gambling”. Well, at least that’s what I’ve been doing in the recent years.

Unfortunately for me, ‘business’ has not been so good this year. I seem to be distributing my wealth to the MORE fortunate. I guess I’m everything Robin Hood is not. Hahaha! Well, what’s a little money in return for good moments with great friends?! Besides, I only gamble within limits. So far still ok.

I came back to work yesterday and it was totally boring with almost nothing to do. Everyone else is either still on leave, or their companies are closed till next Monday.

Today marks the 6th day of CNY. I didn’t sleep well because I kept waking up twice every hour coughing my gut out. Work usually starts at 8.30am. When mom yelled for me, it was already 8.15am. There was no way in hell I was going to make it to work on time. I wasn’t fit for work anyway. So the logical thing to do was to call in sick. But I just took MC two weeks ago when I was down with the flu, and I don’t want people to think that I’m making it a habit.

So instead, I called my boss up and explained myself, asked to take half-day emergency leave (so I could sleep some more). He says ok, and even suggests I take the whole day off since there’s not going to be much to do anyway. Alas, need to save my leave for all my planned vacations.

How true. I got to work at 1pm. 2 hours later, still no sign of any work. And I guess there’s no reason to expect any more work today either. The tough part is making ourselves look busy. Everyone is trying so hard to hide what’s written all over our faces – B-o-R-e-D-o-M!

Some try hiding it by pretending to look through documents & reports. Others pretend to be busy on the phone (personal calls mostly). There are also those who are seemingly having serious discussions amongst one another (actually talking crap only). As for me, I’m making myself look occupied by typing a really long email (drafting this post in Microsoft Outlook).

Well, that’s it for now. Back to surfing The Net.

No comments: