19 February 2007

Gong Xi Gong Xi!

The year of the dog has passed, and the year of the hog is here. I've come across quite a number of fortune-telling emails about the ups & downs to expect this year, but I can't say I'm quite taken. I like to think that we're in control of our destiny, and we get to decide whether or not things are going our way.

This CNY we didn't have to balik kampung as we usually do. For those who don't know, balik kampung in my book means going back to my dad's hometown of Kota Bharu. That's in Kelantan in case you're wondering.

Spending CNY in the city and in a small town can be quite contrasting. For one thing, the usual hussle and bussle in the city is no longer apparent as with the other days of the year. Traffic, both vehicle & human, however, grows tremendously in small towns during festive seasons and long breaks.

Also, you'll hear a lot more fireworks breaking the peaceful silence of dark skies in small towns. I suppose that's because supplies are easier available there, and enforcement on bans is less.

One major aspect of celebrating CNY back in Kota Bharu which I miss this year is the whole family togetherness. Back there, as many as 5 families live under the same roof, while another family or two crash at the prestigious Hotel Perdana just across the street. So at any given time, there will be relatives around to talk to and do stuff with. There's never a lonely moment.

It may not be a big house, and many of us 'big boys' end up sleeping in the living room at night, but I really can't complain. We don't sleep that much anyway considering our late-night till morning mahjong sessions.

There's also lots of delicious food readily available any time of the day, whether home-cooked, or a 5-minute walk around the corner, or 5-minute drive into town.

The one thing I enjoy the most about the entire affair is that about 60% of conversations are in Hokkien. I grew up in a pure Hokkien family so not surprisingly, I feel a certain sense of comfort and belonging whenever I'm around people who speak Hokkien. My own Hokkien is nothing to shout about, but I'm still pleased to be in the company of people who speak Hokkien.

Back in Kota Bharu, our CNY festivities include the same visiting route year after year. I almost know my way around from house to house already. The problem is, until today I still don't know whose homes I'm entering, and who it is I'm collecting Angpaos from, how it is I'm related to them, and how to address them. That's what happens when the previous generation have really big families and extended families. And to make things worse, we've lived 6.5hrs drive away our entire lives. Correction... there was a time when it was 8hrs drive away.

Sigh... I miss Kota Bharu. Check out the name of the street I live on there - Jalan Bayam. Sounds so kampung right?! Hahaha!

Gong Hei Fatt Choi to you, and may you be blessed with health, fortune, prosperity & love all year long.

No comments: