06 November 2006

Kippas - M'sian Passport Renewal

The process of getting my new passport is finally done and over with. What I have procrastinated since early this year went very smoothly, much to my surprise. Reason I kept dragging this item on my to-do list is because Malaysian government agencies have made quite a name for themselves in the area of efficiency.

Having a job like mine, I cannot afford to disappear from the office for too long. Short of taking the whole day off, I just couldn't bring myself to get this out of the way. I guess anything is possible with the right incentives. My incentive - Phuket Dec'2006!!!!!!!

Travel dates - 7'Dec - 10'Dec. Old passport expires 5'Dec. Quite a predicament huh?! I'm well aware of the 6-month validity ruling. Just lacked the incentive.

Anyway, KIPPAS (whatever it stands for)... basically is a new system for renewing your Malaysian chip-based passport. The process was simple enough...
  1. What you need:
  • 1pc MyKad
  • 1pc old M'sian chip-based passport (assuming it's not all moldy & warn out)
  • 1pc passport sized photo (hopefully something which remotely resembles you)
  • 2 thumbs (preferrably on different hands)
  • Lots of cash (32pg - RM300; 64pg - RM600)... decent condition RM50's only.

2. What you do (took me 5 mins):

  • Make your way to the immigration department... do check which branches have KIPPAS first.
  • Speak to the attendant monitoring nearby. They will check your old passport, MyKad & thumbprints to make sure they correspond.
  • Place your photo into the envelope they give you, fill out your name, IC & phone number.
  • Proceed to the ATM-like machine
  • Insert passport & MyKad into designated slots
  • Follow on-screen instructions
  • Choose between 32pg or 64pgs.
  • Insert corresponding amount of cash (it was a bit sensitive with my money, but I managed)
  • Insert envelop (with photo only) into machine
  • Remove old passport & MyKad
  • Collect receipt

Your new passport will be ready within one working day. Go back to the same immigration office and head for the counter as indicated in the receipt. You will need to bring your MyKad, old passport & one thumb (I will say nothing should you decide to leave the other thumb at home).

They'll collect your receipt and give you a number in exchange. I waited about 10 mins for my turn. Spent 2 minutes doing verification over the counter then walked off happily with my new passport.

Glad to see the government is making good effort to improve... Malaysia Boleh!

The only drawback to this entire process is that there's just not enough information available over the Internet. Don't believe me? Go ahead and do a search!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I mostly visits this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here beingmervs.blogspot.com. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Recent Research shows that closely 90% of all United States adults are either chubby or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.