16 November 2006

Basketball vs War... I Choose War!

It must be at least 4 years since the last time I played a decent game of basketball. And that's not to say that we had a decent game of basketball during the friendly sports meet between NMM & Sony. Frankly, savage doesn't even begin to describe the experience. Here's why...

The organizer from NMM doesn't know all that much about basketball (choice of game was GM's idea... not that she knows anything about basketball even). So I did what I could to help.

I randomly sorted the participants into teams for a half court 4 on 4 competition. It was generally a good mix of male & female from both NMM & Sony. We ended up with 8 teams, and got prizes for the supposed champions & 1st runner-up. Alas it never got that far. Actually, it didn't go anywhere at all.

Sony members arrived late due to the traffic so we didn't start till late. The organizers (me excluded) decided to change everything to fully utilize what was left of available time on the court.

They decided to combine 2 teams into one to form 4 teams of 8 players instead. And they even had the nerve to announce 8 on 8 half court matches. 16 players on the court... HALF the court! Wtf?!?!?!?!

I finally managed to knock some sense into them and we kicked off a game of 8 on 8 full court.

The original "first team to make 7 baskets wins" was greatly downsized to 3 baskets only. I guess that wasn't such a bad idea afterall since no one had the stamina to run around like they did.

Did I mention that the game was nothing less than savage? There's just no way to politely describe how brutally the ball & court were abused. I think the only rule in effect throughout the game was "out of bounds". The rest of it was a nasty free for all.

To refrain from being a bitchy twerp, I'll just leave it at that. Although slightly traumatized, I still had fun. There was also a good laugh when after the game, some people complained that they didn't even get to touch the basketball... what did you expect with 8 on 8?!?!

Oh and once again, there's no escaping age... the aches & pains didn't even wait for me to reach home. I was having problems getting up from my seat at the end of dinner. And my left leg gave way while walking back to the car and I collapsed against a tree. Glad there was no one around to notice.

Yea... these days war is a safer activity. Go figure!

2 comments:

UnkaLeong said...

As coach say last time, "Feed them chicken wings oni..." Buzz me if you don't know what chicken wings are can ask Soon Yean ;)

Mervyn said...

Chicken wings? Of course I know what chicken wings are, generally. But in this context, explanation will definitely be required.