11 July 2007

Reaching The Top

This post is dedicated to Soon Yean

I recently learnt that success starts with a dream. When coupled with direction, the dream becomes a vision. Sprinkle in lots of determination and anyone can make their visions come true.

To be on top of the world with my closest buddies – that’s the dream which has become my vision. We’ll be climbing Mt Kinabalu in 2 weeks time. The peak is 4.1km above sea level, so as you can imagine, it's going to be a challenge for us.

3 of the 4 setting out on this challenge are in pretty good shape and I have no doubt that we’ll reach the top. But if 4 really great friends set out on this journey, I want to be at the top with all of them by my side. I want to say we did it, and we did it together. As Lilo & Stitch so put it – “…no one gets left behind”.

Yea, I’m talking about Soon Yean. He’s not in the best shape possible and I’m worried that it’ll be a lot more challenging for him to conquer the mountain. Two weeks isn’t quite enough time for him to improve his weight, strength and stamina, especially with his working schedule. However, here’s a guy who has many great things working in his favor. He’s got more than enough brains and character to make up for what he lacks in physique. That I do not doubt. If anyone can get to the top of Mount Kinabalu on just sheer determination, I know Soon Yean can.

So here’s my humble request to all BeingMervs’ dearest readers – help me help him. He has already acknowledged his current health and fitness level (read here). We need to get his spirits up. Visit his blog and leave him some words of encouragement. Flood his blog with comments if you think it’ll help.

If we fail to get his body in any better shape in the next two weeks, at least he will have enough mental energy and motivation to get to the top with the rest of us.

8 comments:

soonyean said...

Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement but don't understand since when my spirit's down?

I've conquered Gunung Tahan and mentally I know what to expect from KK. Don't worry I'll be up there with you.

Physically i am not as fit as before but I'm not a sadistic fat ass :)

Anonymous said...

Haha... Don't look down on Soon Yean... Never doubt that he can't make it at all...

It's never bout physically fit... And a lot of time, a lot of people might not look fit to you, but they might have better stamina than anyone else...

Plus, soon yean has better mental strength than most of us...

Anonymous said...

Soon Yean is more than meet the eyes! Don't look down on this guy man...he climb Tahan okay!

I think its unfair to say among 4 of us, 3 are fit... since this is not about fitness.. . its like saying he cant make it even before we start the climb. A bit de-motivating right.... :)

Mervyn said...

Sorry if I was misunderstood, but I meant well.

I know it's more of a mental challenge to get to the top. Here's my rationale.

Just half way up you're already panting out of breath and you feel the load on your back is too much to carry, and your legs are killing you. That's when the whole mental challenge kicks in. You'll have to fight pass the thought of giving up.

If you've got reasonably good strength and stamina, you're less likely to be worn out and fall sick. Therefore the mental challenge would be much less of a burden too.

If you're already physically trained for the challenge, the mental challenge would be near insignificant.

From what I've read, the only thing a reasonably fit person has to worry about when climbing Kinabalu is altitude sickness... whereby it doesn't matter whether or not you're trained. If you're not use to the altitude, your body will be under stress, and then your mind will be put to the test.

Hope you guys understand.

And no, I don't doubt his ability to reach the top. I just worry he'll feel the stress before we do and I want to do what I can to help him overcome that. That's what friends do.

I mean well.

soonyean said...

hehehe...anyway i get what you mean, definitely will need help here and there ... and i think i'll slow down at certain place if i feel tired especially the bigger steps part where we need to use our hands as well, so you guys don't go so fast ok ...

Hengster said...

we start the journey together, reach peak together, go down together and finish it off with a nice spa experience back in KK okay!
hehehhee

Anonymous said...

We gonna go spa? serious! yeahsss... my friend say poring hot spring is actually quite a nice place to dip our tired feet...
Hey... it has been raining the pass few days in KK... And my second batch of friends were not allowed to go up the peak due to the heavy mists... Die lar... Start praying guys!

Mervyn said...

SY: Glad you understand. So looking forward to this trip with all of you.

RH: Spa? No blind massage in USJ?

GT: Kindly include me in your prayers. I fear I might have injured my neck in Monday's accident. My head don't feel so good. Will be going to see the doc for advice shortly.