16 January 2007

Scary Stories

Seems some people have gotten into blogging about some of their freaky, eerie, scary experiences. Just felt like joining in the hype before it dies down. You first need to know that I'm really not much a believer in such things. Anyway, here goes...

It was a dark and stormy night (why do they always begin this way?). Ok-la, my case wasn't so classic. It was just the average night in my old house in Sec 19 PJ. It's a semi-D (probably with 20 years or more history) with lots of garden at the side. I'd lived there for only 3 years at the time... who knows what kind of history was hiding within its walls.

At about 1am, I was still sitting in front of the PC as I always do. The rest of my family were already fast asleep. My PC shared the same room as the dining hall downstairs, with the sliding door to the side garden just to my right. I had the curtains shut of course.

The flourescent light above me & the upstairs hall lights were left on for me. The rest of the house in complete darkness. The only other light source in the area came from my PC screen.

Out of nowhere, the light above me started to flicker, while my UPS system (Uninterruptable Power Supply - backup supply for PC) was flickering on and off. I paused from my tapping at the keyboard and turned my head to scan the rooms around me - nothing. What got my mind wandering was that the light coming from the upstairs hall was constant the whole time.

A couple of minutes later, I noticed the light from upstairs flickering from the corner of my eye. Strange, because the lights downstairs and my PC were both fine. I ignored it once again and went back to my chatting.

Suddenly, the light above me died. 2 seconds later, my PC went dead together with the UPS (Unreliable Piece of Shit). Great! The whole downstairs was in darkness and I only had the light from upstairs to get around.

First thing that came to mind - go check the fuse box. Before I even had a chance to get up from the chair, the upstairs light went out too! KNNCCB. The whole house was in complete darkness and with my eyes still numb from staring at the PC screen so long, it couldn't adjust to the pitch black setting. I was completely blind!

The way the lights went out was more than enough to get anyone scared, me included. Even though I'm a disbeliever, the mind tends to play tricks on you when you're tired.

But it wasn't like I was going to just sit there and scream for mommy and daddy. I'm a big boy, I can take care of myself. So I headed for the kitchen stove, 20 paces away from me. Lit the fire which gave me a slight sense of comfort.

From there, I made my way to the storeroom under the staircase where I remember last seeing the emergency light. Beyond the storeroom door was heaps of junk. Neither the light nor I could get past the door. Not that I really wanted to go in there anyway, given the circumstances. I just squatted at the entrance and started waving my arms around openly until it bumped into the emergency light.

The extremely stale, musky air from deep inside the storeroom caused the hairs on the back of my neck to rise. A sudden chill ran down my spine and goosebumps all over followed. I was hoping and praying at the back of my mind that I wouldn't find "anything else" in there. It seemed like an eternity before one arm bumped into the emergency light which was hiding in one corner next to the door. Thank goodness that was all I bumped into.

And thank goodness also the light was working. I took a quick stroll around the house to check on things. The fuse box was fine, and there was light coming from the house across the street. Means only my house blackout - weird.

I went back to take another peek at the fusebox to see if I missed anything. While staring blankly at it, the upstairs light came back on. A few seconds later, the downstairs light came back on. And then my PC & UPS (Useless Plastic Stool) beeped back on.

The events which took place that night was the spookiest incident for me. It never happened again after that, nor did I ever figure out how & why it happened. Any one care to "shed some light on the darkness" for me?

1 comment:

Hengster said...

PJ is haunted...period!