07 January 2007

Bored? Join A Gym!

More on my resolutions for 2007, I have since decided that since I'm on my way to gain a few pounds, I might as well get in shape too. Not to say that I'm in bad shape or anything, but there's still a great deal of room for improvement.

When I did my medical in November, I weighed in at 54.5 kilos. Being 175cm tall, that makes my BMI around 17.8. Anything below 18.5 is underweight. The "normal" range for my height is 56.7kgs - 76.6kgs. That means I need to gain at least 3 kilos. But of course I won't just stop there. I'm going to aim for 65 kilos or more and try to maintain it around there.

Since it's on my list of 2007 resolutions, I'm determined to make it happen. And I figure 10 kilos gained can be put to good use. As such, I'm one of Fitness First's newest members.

As always, it was one of those really impulsive things. I went to work in the morning like any other day. Then the idea popped into my head sometime late morning. I spent the afternoon browsing for some information online. After work, I headed straight to Fitness First @ The Curve and 45 minutes later, I was signing the forms.

Questions you might ask me:-
Q: Why Fitness First?
A: Because I want the flexibility of moving from one gym to another depending on where I am, and where I'm heading.

Q: How much are you paying?
A: I signed up for a year's Passport membership which is costing me RM140/mth.

Q: Are you mad?
A: Do you really have to ask?

Q: So how often will you be going?
A: The current plan - everyday

Q: Are you mad?
A: I don't know. Am I?

Q: Where will you find the time?
A: Well, weekends are easy, but my weekday evenings are seldom available, so that leaves mornings. I start work at 8.30am, whereas the gym opens at 6.30am. That gives me approximately 2 hours to work out, shower, and then make my way to office.

Q: Are you mad?
A: I'm starting to think so.

Q: How long do you think you can keep it up?
A: Hard to say. But I'm definitely not lacking in enthusiasm at the moment. We'll see.

My past two days at the gym has been quite an experience. I've only worked on my cardio so far though. Will start on weights tomorrow with the trainer. And hopefully he can help me build a decent workout plan.

Will definitely keep you guys posted on progress and updates. I'm sure many of you are already placing bets on how soon I give up. Good luck with that! And whoever wins, feel free to buy me a meal or something... for my efforts if nothing else. :o)

By the way, if anyone is interested to try out a gym, I've got three 1-day passes for guests. I don't exactly know what to do with it, so feel free to take them off me. I won't even charge you for it.

3 comments:

Hengster said...

wah...your blog sound like some celebrity interview!! hahahah...anyway, hoped to see a new Mervyn soon.. U have the height the face but not the weigth.. so Ganbate! But don't until overweight okay.

Year end, we cuci mata together during Singapore marathon as planned.

Mervyn said...

yea.. marathon konon. Let's try to get past the first couple of weeks, and go from there ya! hahaha. This morning had a try at the weight machines. My god, it was embarassing. Everything oso cannot. Suppose to do 3 sets on each... one set oso cannot complete. Die or not?! I've got a long way to go. Lol!

UnkaLeong said...

hehehe..Welcome to the world of weights. You are the classic Ectomorph, eat like hell oso cannot grow fat wan...So you need to bulk up. Search the web (or my blog) for this keyword. It should help you in your quest to gain weight.