03 January 2007

2 Weeks Of Partying: Christmas

The end of 2006 was marked with a week of partying. The beginning of 2007 seems pretty much the same - another week of partying. With one event following another, I've had nothing short of an awesome two weeks so far, and there's still more to come!

24 December - Xmas Party
The line-up began with the Christmas party on Christmas eve. We crammed 30+ people into a 3-room suite at Crown Regency Service Apartments in KL. The evening started with steamboat prepared by some of the gals... and guys too, I think. I was too busy with mahjong to notice.

Didn't eat much either because of the lack of space. It was just too much of a hassle to squirm my way through the crowd to get to the food. Whatever food I got had to be served to me.

The party only really began when we made our way downstairs and up the street to Bintang Walk. There was a fair crowd there as expected, all eagerly waiting for something to happen when the clock struck midnight.

My group of 30+ were as high-spirited as could be, and we hadn't even had a drop of alcohol yet. At least half of us had Christmas-themed outfits, the most common being Santa hats...

...and reindeer hats too!

We also equipped ourselves with a few canisters of foam to spray each other, but held back until the countdown. Alas, there was no countdown, no performances, no fireworks, no nothing. Other than the crowd, all was quiet.

Having a big group of party-goers has its advantages. It took 3 of us to start counting down from 10, 9... the rest of the group was in for 8, 7, 6... and the whole street was with us as we went 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!! Even the cars honked with us (or at us... hard to tell).

And off went the confetti and party sprays. It didn't take long for the spraying to get out of hand and turn into an all out war. Some families nearby even joined in.

Kids a 3rd my age had started spraying at us out of nowhere. Soon Yean and I were getting most of the attention, and then all of the sudden, Soon Yean was nowhere to be seen. So it was me versus 4 little brats. Good heavens!



I had three major disadvantages... 1 - I was outnumbered 40 to 1 (ok ok it was only 4 to 1, but they were coming at me from every direction). 2 - I hadn't the stamina to keep up (I'm 24, it's excusable!) 3 - I hadn't the ammunition (while the kids just had to run back to mommy & daddy to get a fresh canister).

No points for guessing who cowered in defeat.


And when I looked at the parents of these devils, they looked right back at me, faces gleaming with pride. I could almost read their minds - "look at our kids, all grown up and bullying the big ones... I'm so proud of them". Amazing! Ish!

After catching my breath and getting back to the safety of my group, there wasn't much else to do... but to start carolling. We rolled out the first - Jingle Bells unrehearsed. It wasn't all that bad, and we even the the crowd clapping and singing with us. Truly a Kodak moment. Strangers even came up to us to have their picture taken. Weird indeed!

We did another number, but choked a little with the lyrics... unrehearsed ma! On our 3rd song, we didn't even get past the 2nd verse, and all decided to quit and go back. That was so funny I can't remember who laughed harder, us or the crowd.

After the gathering at Bintang Walk, we went back to the apartment for a break and the gift exchange, and then a few of us took a break from the crowded room and headed over to Ruums which was a stone throw away.

This place used to be Warp. Recently given a face lift, it looks pretty good now. And the crowd seemed alright, although a bit young. Maybe it's just because we're so much older. But the contrast was enough for us to take note.

Purpose of going there was to meet Alison (the gal I met in Phuket). The plan was either she come up, or I go down. With the huge turnout upstairs, I didn't think having Alison and her friends come up was such a good idea.

Well going down wasn't too bad either. I got to go clubbing, something I really enjoy but haven't done in a loooooong while... since November if I remember correctly. LOL! Besides, Robert has been so looking forward to shuffling at a proper shuffling place, with proper shufflers, and proper music.

We left when the place closed at 3am and headed back to the apartment. I was so tipsy I could barely keep myself upright. And those buggers insisted on playing Twister. So, I had to open my gift from Robert & Grace for everyone to pass the time. Well they seemed to enjoy themselves. I was in for two rounds but the alcohol in my system was a huge disadvantage.



I finally gave up and went to bed, but not without a fuss! Hahah!

2 comments:

Hengster said...

Damn big man soon yean's ass in the twister photo!

Mervyn said...

yea... right above my head sommore! stupid game! LoL!