21 August 2006

As The Story Goes, The Money Flows...

Here's the initial budget before signing up:
RM800 for the course
RM600++ for the 3d2n island trip for open water dives
Total = RM1,400-RM1,500.

And here's the actual cost:
RM800 for the course
RM700 for 3d2n island trip (Coral Redang)
Extra 1d1n complimentary stay at the resort (no dive), courtesy of Andy (worth RM220).
Transport - expecting about RM100

And then there's the extras which I owe to my impulsive spending:

Atomic Aquatic Subframe Mask (red/black)

RP: RM330.00 DP: RM240.00

Gull Stable Snorkel (black)
RP: RM93.00 DP: RM70.00

SeaPro Eco Booties (size 8 black)

RP: RM80.00 DP: RM60.00

Atomic Aquatic Open-Heel Split Fins (red/black)

RP: RM499.00 DP: RM399.00

Bare 2mm Ignite Shorty (men size S red/black)

RP: RM319.00 DP: RM250.00

Akona Mesh Duffel (black)

RP: RM81.00 DP: RM63.00

Total spent on gear so far:
Retail Total: RM1,402.00
Discounted Total: RM1,082.00.


So now you can understand why I'm a little less generous when I go out.

I know I know! I make it sound like an expensive hobby. But if you're not so sure you really want to do this long-term, you can still go for the course, get your certification, and then plan dives using rented equipment. You can expect rental to add up to under RM100/day. This will definitely work out cheaper if you only dive once in a blue moon.

I, on the other hand, have set a target of 3 dive trips per year - 2 local trips & 1 foreign. The 2 local ones can be done over weekends along the East Coast, while the foreign one will probably be over a course of 4 to 5 days. With any luck, I could probably accomplish 10-15 dives a year. And thus the rational for investing in the basic gear.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahha... no wonder la broke.. kns.. always nag me about my impulsive shopping.. hahahahha! u also same right now... lol! at least my shopping i can wear my clothes out and take my handbag out but yours in the sea.. for who to see leh? the fishes??? kekekekeke! :P

Hengster said...

No worries...good investment.. one day will need you to bring me around diving...and maybe can borrow your equipment..
hahaha
kidding

Anonymous said...

haha.. like wat robert mention.
2 local dives -- 3m swimming pool and SYabas pool...
where's there other foregin dives again ??? ..... kekek
well... if i were to borrow ur suit, u think i can fits in ah...:P

Mervyn said...

You guys are welcome to borrow my equipment on 2 conditions... it fits; i'm not using it. :)

Local dives will most likely be to east coast during March-October. Year-end diving will probably be as far as East Malaysia or Thailand at the moment. Further destinations will have to wait till I get a huge increment. LoL.