25 September 2006

Mixing Business With Pleasure

How many of you are fortunate enough to have a career similar or related to your passion? I'm willing to bet not many.

And how many of you are in jobs you totally despise? "The job sucks", "the management is incompetent", "the company is lousy", "the pay - peanuts", "the benefits - what benefits?", "the colleagues are idiots"... these are probably some of the familar phrases many of you can relate to huh?

If you could choose between the 2 categories above, EVERYONE will choose the former. Anyone who picks the latter is either lying, or an idiot just like the colleagues he/she hopes to have!

Allow me to now introduce a third category - the job is "okay-la". Not fantastic, but not too bad either. It's got nothing to do with your hobbies and interests, but you're capable and trained to do the job you're paid to do. There's stress, but not to the suicidal extent. The benefits, mediocre. The colleagues, some are brilliant while the rest are idiots. The pay... enough.

So now with option 3, how does it appeal to you when compared to the first scenario I gave above? Still prefer having your passion integrated with your career?

I'm sure many of you would. To be frank, there was a time when I was hoping to find that kind of career too. The problem was that I never did find my passion until recently. Now that I've found that passion... drop what I'm doing and go look for something related?

Could I?
There's no one who'd be able to stop me.

Should I?
This is a little subjective. On one hand, I'd be giving up 12 years of public education and 4.5 years of private college. On the other hand, people always tell you to do what you enjoy doing. "Go for it!" or "Do what makes you happy!" I guess it can be argued both ways - no sense wasting time on that here because that's not the point I'm trying to make.

Would I?
I most certainly without a doubt WOULD NOT! Not now at least. Only after I've retired would I consider such a thought.

No matter how convenient it would be for me to have a job in the world of diving, the 3rd scenario coined will be my choice. I actually even prefer the 2nd scenario over the 1st too. Ranked in order of my preference it would be 3, 2 and then only 1.

I've probably jerked your curiousity by now. Leave some comments and we'll discuss this further at a later time.

No comments: